[BS!]theBeardedSquirrels!
Main | Battlefield 3 - Page 8 - Forum | Registration | Login
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Games We Play (MP & Others) » Battlefield » Battlefield 3
Battlefield 3
AngDate: Sunday, 02/October/2011, 4:34:55 PM | Message # 106
Lieutenant colonel
Group: Users
Here is my take on it (was going to wait until it came out, but hey! Beta is free).

What I liked:

-Sniping is always fun and feels like you are legit when you are on a killing spree.
-Pistols are great!
-Map is huge, but easy to move around in.
-Definitely takes teammwork and rewards teammwork.
-The feel and movements are fluid.
-No panic knifes!
-Wide variety of paths for aproaching objectives, you can't be easily screwed with no way out.

What I disliked:

-I glitch through the map like it's quicksand! I am sure it will be fixed though.
-Sometimes I can't ADS nor even fire my gun!
-Idiot teammates that don't help out. Sheesh, if you are going to be a medic, throw me health pack when I am sniping dumbshit!
-Just one map and game mode.
-Game could last up to like 20 minutes! Damn!

I might actually get it, and play a little on it. At least until U3 comes out.

KuzuDate: Monday, 03/October/2011, 3:20:13 AM | Message # 107
The Clan Elder
Group: Administrators
hey yall. word to your mother(s). just got back from my 2 week vacation in Cali, and am NOT happy to be back in radiation-land.

red
any way to fix your screen? FYI only about 16% of the map is actually dark. the first 33% is totally outside in the sun. the second 33% is half in the dark tunnels, half inside with lights. the last 33% is again outside, with a few buildings facing the street. give it a try hombre? i have yet to DL or play it, but very excited to do so.

alu
i didnt like BC2 all that much when i first played it. but it definitely grew on me, and made me switch camps. i think BF3 has huge potential.

guz
thx for the reviews! keep em coming if ur still playing, as it helps all squirrels get acquainted with the game. i have some comments/questions:
- are the server listings available in the beta?
if not, perhaps ur sniper lag is due to an overseas connection.
- i believe suppression fire was inteded to "scare" ppl while under fire, but maybe like u said it has little effect. although actually it has a very useful purpose for the receiver: u know ur being shot at. a gripe i had with BC2 (and others say the same for BF3) is that damage detection comes too late (ie ur basically dead before u know what hit u) so seeing the blur feature or w/e may help give u warning to take cover.
- i like the addition of RDS-glow, flashlight-blind, and sniper-glare to balance them out. but i can see how annoying it is when a dumb/bitch teammate keeps shining that in your eyes.
- i dunno, i think DICE wants ppl to use LMGs like a noob gun. i think they are trying to push ppl into using that class as a true support role: giving them big clips, bipod, ammo packs, suppression fire, but presumably the poorest accuracy. if they do that, could u use an RPG, toob, nade, sniper, etc?
- i saw a player get a diff shotgun unlock, as well as extended clip unlock for shotty.
- what do you mean, "reversal of the map". is it a mirror image? base order reversed? switch sides?
- ive seen some clips of guys quick-scoping. im really not interested in that but i would like to know how much sway there is for traditional sniping. do u need to hold your breath for every long-range shot?
- is L3 (run) binded to holding breath?
- have u unlocked/used/seen any silencers on any (non-pistol or non-Carbine ie Engineer) gun?
- ive seen someone use the infrared-sight with an AR. its somewhat similar to the MW2 one. but the smoke from your own rifle starts blocking the image once you fire so its not entirely easy to track moving targets. anyways, its still very good at detecting people who pop their heads up even in the park. that might be fun.
- what is your favorite class so far? weapon? attachments?

niva
no worries. i havent tried the game yet so i should hold my opinions till then. but i still like alot of what i see/hear. sry its not working out for you.

ang
great summary. u gave some wonderful examples for the Pros of the game. as far as the Cons go, i think:
- will be fixed
- will be fixed
- some ppl may be playing the beta to get a feel for the game (as i plan to do) and neglect their abilities. but i completely agree its dumb and annoying if its the real game. maybe try joining a new squad or playing with ppl on ur buddy list.
- its a beta... (-_-)
- makes it feel like a real "battle". makes the outcome feel that much more rewarding (or devastating), thereby reinforcing the importance of teamwork.

GuzmanDate: Monday, 03/October/2011, 4:05:13 AM | Message # 108
Lieutenant general
Group: Moderators
-No server listings.
-I think you only see the effects of suppression if looking towards the shooter. IDK though, when you get shot in the back you go down quick, so maybe I'm just not noticing it.
-LOL, my bro was mentioning that people that recognize & want to heckle YT commentators will probably do that. Took me a bit to figure it out, be to turn off tactical flashlight, hit up on D-Pad. On pistols its not too bad, (he just points it up) but on rifles he shines it all over the place.
-I have nearly zero experience w/ LMGs & bipods, but the few times I've used it, it kinda felt like a novelty to me. Prone w/ or w/o bipod seemed identical.
-I just mean that typically shooters display the killfeed in the lower-left corner, & map in top right. BF3 reverses it, & I just prefer it the standard way.
-Uh, as nooby as I'll sound here, IDK what holding breath is... I'd assume L3, but when I tried neither L3 or R3 appeared to do anything. Sway is light, & you'd think that pulling the tripper as it passes over their head would work, but I know some military shooters want you to hold your breath regardless. Anyway, that may the reason I miss so many of my shots! For how much I like to snipe, I really haven't given it much attention either. As red might put it, I haven't 'graduated' to it yet. (getting there)
-Only siliencers on pistols & rifles, like you say. but Engineer has received no attention from me.

Fav class? I'll get back to you on that!

EDIT:

Quote (Kuzu)
hey yall. word to your mother(s). just got back from my 2 week vacation in Cali, and am NOT happy to be back in radiation-land.

I got so into my response that I forgot to respond to this.
So, same to you buddy! I take it you enjoyed the trip? ^_-

Message edited by Guzman - Monday, 03/October/2011, 2:06:37 PM

KuzuDate: Monday, 03/October/2011, 9:05:52 PM | Message # 109
The Clan Elder
guz (my response after playing 4-5 hours last night)
- i find sup.fire does a pretty good job at disorienting me. u can only see thru a very small radius, and the rest is substationally blurred. i find it hard to locate targets, let alone kill anyone, when im taking sup.fire w/o knowing where the shooter is coming from.
- i really appreciated the addition of the blur/glare factors. the lights are a dead giveaway since hardly anyone seems to turn them off when running, and even if shined in your face you still have a "center" to aim for. but i still like the fact that it can literally blind you. cool feature IMO. sniper glare is also an awesome counter-measure to spot them.
- i played about 50% with support class last night, and in no way did i feel that LMGs were overpowered. the recoil is ridiculous (ie, realistic) so it doesnt kill at anything past short-med range. i used to be able to snipe with LMGs in BC2, but not in BF3. the recoil and low acc keeps it in check. the holo sight is a welcome add-on, but i still was outplayed by ARs, snipers, and often just got sup.fire points. but it was very good in doorways/rooms when they piled up trying to get to our MCOM. i dont think its a very practical killing weapon for regular all-purpose warfare, but i want to see if the higher tier guns are worth getting/using. and im unlocking C4 soon, so that should be fun!
- ah. yah i have absolutely no prob w/ that. i got used to it very quickly, and in fact prefer it now since all the important info is at the bottom of the screen (ammo, health, squad info, etc.). but i often miss reading the kill feeds since im concentrating on not dying (or maybe my TV is too big?). lol
- hold breath is indeed L3. but yah the sway is rather minimal. dont need to hold breath for semi-auto snipers, and its debatable if needed on traditional long-range snipers. i spent the other 50% sniping, and i found it very rewarding yet very challenging too. w/ my current and longstanding default setup, i have L2 as my run/breath. this makes it very hard for me to aim (L1) AND hold breath (L2), since using my pointer + middle finger means i lose stability when holding the controller. i love sniping, so im having an internal conflict: should i switch my controls in order to accomodate sniping? but in the process, i will feel less comfortable and less efficient (w/ a small button) or ruin my controller (w/ standard L3).
- yah i didnt touch engineer class yet though i know they will be a very viable option. good weapon choices, useful secondary weps (anti-vehicle, anti-personnel), and repair abilities. in one of the tunnels, i saw what appeared to be a guy fixing something stuck to a wall? very weird. it was like he fixed some gadget, then he tried to fly it. it was like a toaster oven with wings, then he crashed it into the ceiling after 1 second. wonder wtf that was? (EDIT: it was the MAV - micro air vehicle for the recon class. so he must have set it, not fixed it.) i think using a robot EOD would be a fun way to kill someone (w/ repair tool! lol). in all honesty, this was my 2nd most used class in BC2, and they got a huge upgrade to their firepower and arsenal.

California was fabulous. i was about to write about all the things i like better there, and go on a rant on why i dont like japan, but i realize that would take up too many pages. to sum it up nicely, my wife and 3 year old daughter kept saying "i want to live in america. i dont want to go back to japan. i love my american relatives." i need to make it happen.

GuzmanDate: Tuesday, 04/October/2011, 1:25:29 AM | Message # 110
Lieutenant general
-The map placement deal is just me commenting, really. I'd prefer it the other way, but its not like I cant stand it... I guess the best way to put it is that I find I ignore the minimap more than I should, possibly due to it's placement? IDK.
-Ah, that's what you meant about ruining your L3 button. Right.
-Wow, really? I didn't know there was anything to repair in the Beta. That's one of the main reasons I've pretty much ignored the engineer. I kinda wish there was a map w/ vehices, & just a standard TM type setting, just to see how differently it'd all play out.

Quote (Kuzu)
California was fabulous. i was about to write about all the things i like better there, and go on a rant on why i dont like japan, but i realize that would take up too many pages. to sum it up nicely, my wife and 3 year old daughter kept saying "i want to live in america. i dont want to go back to japan. i love my american relatives." i need to make it happen.

Woah, so they wanna move to the US huh? At the very least, you can count yourself lucky in that regard, I think.

KuzuDate: Tuesday, 04/October/2011, 4:37:24 AM | Message # 111
The Clan Elder
day 1 impressions:

GOOD
- needless to say i have hyped myself up on this game. after playing it all night, i was not disappointed.
- realistic recoil. u cant fire any weapon on full-auto and expect shots to land in the exact same place like in COD. u can see characters shaking with recoil w/ each shot. IMO it adds realism, challenge, balance and forces ppl to use skill to get the kill.
- classes feel extremely balanced. i can see myself using all of them to great pleasure. they each have specific jobs to perform to help out the team. all will be important if you want to win. DICE really put effort into making each class a unique but integral part of the team. bravo.
- char model and crosshairs seem bigger and closer to the screen, making it easier to maneuver, spot enemies, shoot, and well, do everything. feels more intense and FPS-like than BC2.
- controls are fast and smooth. i was quite suprised at how easy it was to control my player from the get-go. even w/ a fast turning speed, i felt they were still tight. i dont feel im over-aiming like in other FPS games at high sens. im using ~40% sens and it feels more than adequate.
- pistols are a joy to use; currently liking the glock with its clip of 17. they can be switched to quickly, have clean sights, have some "pop", and they are a viable killing weapon.
- knife kills take deliberate effort: 2 slashes or 1 shank from the back. they are not easy to pull off. absolutely no panic knives. in short, its a stealth skill-kill, not a lame lunge ability.
- weapons feel balanced. recoil, ROF, acc, range, etc. each has its particular purpose, and any/all can be used to devastate.
- weapons have a greater "personality" this time. they have better sounds and dont feel generic anymore.
- sprint ability really helps. doesnt feel too fast or cheap, yet makes moving around the big maps less tedious.
- nades are pretty easy to spot and hard to kill with. they show up small but clearly highlighted (almost like Demolition perk) though you cant cook them. better warning means more focus on primary weapons, not constantly killing with random nades
- LMGs have been molded into being a true support weapon. firing when standing gives very poor acc. prone is a bit better (and i heard a commentator saying foregrip helps). but basically they are there to lay down heavy cover fire, whether by camping down a hallway or firing into the enemy stronghold. they are not made to constantly rack up kills from long-range shots. they intimidate, but dont always kill.
- snipers have been molded into being a true recon class. ive noticed that even the first weps (SVD/MK11) do a dandy job as marksmen-recon. both weps have good ROF and low recoil, making them effective battle rifles for players who like to move. snipers can now actually help out and anchor the attack. with the addition of the spawn beacon, they become an invaluable member of the squad, not just a lone wolf douchebag sniping from mt mordor.

NEUTRAL
- all betas have bugs. most games have bugs even in the first few months. DICE has already announced a list of fixes, and will continue to listen to feedback and make things right. tis the nature of a competitve FPS market.
- there is lag, but should be fixed with server browsers in due time.
- sound whoring is unpredictable. guns can be loud, commands are often being shout out, and there is alot of background noise. as w/ BC2, i find that sounds are very crisp and vivid, but often only hear myself moving (ex: even when sloth-like in crouch) yet dont hear the guy charging at me like a mad elephant.

BAD
- damage detection/direction marker is still poor. presumably some of this is due to lag, but its very likely its still a very short warning time. i seemingly take 1-shot from an UMP and im dead. huh? they made killing easier than in BC2, yet kept the same slow detection system.
- spotting function seems to have been gimped, as its not as easy to do anymore. ppl complain that spotting gives unfair advantage, but its a necessary balance when u consider NO other action makes you show up on radar. (edit: yet to see how UAV or TUGS work). if you dont show up AND its harder to spot ppl, its pushing toward a more "hardcore" trend.
- the "reload-delay" after u fire a shot w/ bolt-action rifle is poop. if ur still holding the trigger, u follow the shot and stay zoomed in w/out reloading, thereby just staring at your target w/out being able to fire. some strange force of habit makes me keep doing it over and over!

redhamuSLADate: Tuesday, 04/October/2011, 11:15:58 PM | Message # 112
Our Sexy Leader
You said "Mordor"...hehe.

duxy87Date: Tuesday, 04/October/2011, 11:36:02 PM | Message # 113
Major general
the beta is hilariously entertaining!! whilst Playing I glitch and fall through the ground and get stuck, but then i see my enemies experiencing the same thing on the other side of the map. So I start sniping those guys whilst i'm in there and I get 7-8 kills before someone else gets me on the complete opposite side, or I suicide. It's just funny cause they're all jumping up and down trying to get out and then I start shooting them and they shit themselves hahaha.. horrible lag at times. I'm moving around as slow as a turtle. but it's all about entering the underworld in the lake area! Oh, and i wont be getting this game.

KuzuDate: Wednesday, 05/October/2011, 0:02:36 AM | Message # 114
The Clan Elder
dux
in the 9 hours 30 minutes ive played this game w/out u i probably fell in an underground glitch hole about 5 times. in the 30 min we played together, i probably fell in 15 times. our first game together had probably the most lag ive ever experienced in a FPS game. yet obviously something was wrong (buggy) because all my unlocks had been erased just for that game. just before joining u i was in a lobby w/ all J-players, having my best games by far, and saw how much fun it is w/out lag.

my point is that those few games we had were flukes. there ARE bugs indeed, but for some reason the worst lag and worst quicksand bugs happened in 2 games back to back exactly at the moment u played.

ur free to laugh at the game, but i just want to say it has been playable for me 90% of the time. its kinda funny how the same sort of thing happened when Red played BC2 w/ me: we were in bad games which left a bad impression. anyways, had to say my 2 cents.

duxy87Date: Wednesday, 05/October/2011, 10:58:57 AM | Message # 115
Major general
Yeah no probs kuz, I wasn't trying to be condescending.... It was just an obvious bug the will be fixed, but was getting some real enjoyment from those glitches haha. Like my mouth was sore from laughing. I've actually had some really good connection in a few games though. Alternating between medic and sniper, It looks as i've gotten into the groove of things. But unfortunately, I just don't think it will suffice my will to go and get this game sad

KuzuDate: Friday, 28/October/2011, 0:49:25 AM | Message # 116
The Clan Elder
KuzuRanger got his copy of BF3 today! =)
KuzuRanger is peeing in his pants with excitement! =)
KuzuRanger will be playing the game without any squirrels. =(

GuzmanDate: Friday, 28/October/2011, 4:16:26 AM | Message # 117
Lieutenant general
I spy 3 facts!

Let us know how it treats you, dude.

redhamuSLADate: Saturday, 29/October/2011, 5:17:34 AM | Message # 118
Our Sexy Leader
I wonder if jizz renders a Blu-Ray disc unreadable...?

KuzuDate: Monday, 31/October/2011, 8:51:22 PM | Message # 119
The Clan Elder
Dear Dux, (and fellow squirrel brethren)
sorry for not responding last night. i think you know the answer already, but yes, i am loving this game. in theory i liked BC2, but it was missing that one thing to make it really great. for me, it seemed too sluggish, too many shots to kill or something. but BF3 has all the team elements that i love, all the cool vehicles, and feels alot faster. there are still times when you have to run/transport around, but when you get in the thick of the battle its much more intense than COD ever was. this is because people are *actually* fighting it out. holding their ground. actually going for the win and caring about the objective. it gives the game so much more purpose and fuel. as im playing more and more, its getting so hard to choose which kit to play, since i love all of them. i hadnt figured out how to fly properly till last night (had to change settings to *inverted* and *legacy* ) but from now on i should have even more fun in the sky! there are so many fun things to do, so many ways to play the game, so many types of roles to play, so much to do. i know every game has unlocks, but this game is just unlock crazy. it feels good getting them and knowing that you have alot more to do with each weapon. even vehicles get unlocks, so you can add secondary machine guns, flares, sensors, fire extinguisher, anti-air missiles, etc. on top of that, killing is just so satisfying. you can easily get multi-kills, whereas in BC2 that was very hard. i absolutely love this game. i stayed up playing until 5am last night, even though i get up for work at 7. thats pretty good indication of how much i like this game.

nivasan6Date: Tuesday, 01/November/2011, 7:08:01 PM | Message # 120
Major general
Kuzu, how does the game look? I know that I can just look it up online, but no one really showcases how the game looks on a console. I still may pick up the game especially since it does come with the Back to Karkland Expansion. I'm still hesitant because the PC version is the best.

I recently got the YLOD on my 60gb PS3, and my family got me a 160gb slim as a replacement. I will be sending in my 60gb so it can get repaired, so that I can salvage some data, and deactivate that PS3.

Forum » Games We Play (MP & Others) » Battlefield » Battlefield 3
Search:

Copyright DoOrDie86 © 2024