[BS!]theBeardedSquirrels!
Main | SOCOM 4 - Page 2 - Forum | Registration | Login
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Games We Play (MP & Others) » Others » SOCOM 4
SOCOM 4
nivasan6Date: Tuesday, 05/April/2011, 8:03:01 AM | Message # 16
Major general
Group: Moderators
lol, that comment is actually relatively true. I would say it's more of a Uncharted, MAG hybrid shooter. It does retain some SOCOM features, but they changed a lot of things to be more pleasing to the casual audience.

I know that I was bashing games for being dumbed down, but I haven't played a SOCOM game in a long time, and so them streamlining it has no effect for me. If I was playing SOCOM for a long time then I would probably forget about SOCOM 4, but maybe I wouldn't since it's essentially a Uncharted, MAG hybrid.

Kuzu, I know you like lots of weapons and customizing options for them, and SOCOM 4 features 40+ weapons. Each weapons have 5 mods, which add suppressors, bipod, scopes, etc... You earn mods by using the weapon and leveling it up. Each faction has different weapons. I was confused as to why the SEALS did not have access to the M4, but the Insurgents did, lol. Sniping is quite hard, and anytime you look down your sights, there is movement. It's also hard picking people off when using the scope on any weapon, even a red dot sight requires a steady aim.

duxy87Date: Tuesday, 05/April/2011, 11:20:32 AM | Message # 17
Major general
I don't think i'll get the beta, it aint available in my region anyway. But I can confirm the release date is 21st April.

The new AFL game is coming out that day too and that's something I've been waiting on for a while now. Apologies for those getting hopes up in me with SOCOM... I'll have to pass on this one due to lack of $$$$$$$. Sorry niv!

nivasan6Date: Tuesday, 05/April/2011, 1:59:49 PM | Message # 18
Major general
lol, that's understandable. No need to apologize. I usually go into these type of games being the only clan member to buy it, lol. Besides if I were you, I would do the exact same thing.

I posted this in the Resistance 3 thread stating that if The Last Guardian comes out this year, then Resistance 3 and Uncharted 3 will be put on hold, simply because of the lack of money and The Last Guardian is the game that I was/am looking forward to the most this year. That may sound funny coming from me since Killzone was high on my list, and Killzone is my favorite fps, but The Last Guardian is actually first on my list.

dux, down the road SOCOM 4 will go down in price relatively quickly. This is a huge assumption, but it's exactly what happened with MAG, and I don't think SOCOM 4 will get good reviews, so that will also push people away causing a decrease in price. I noticed it with Crysis 2; not many people bought it here, and within a week they had a special on it, which is rare for most games.

nivasan6Date: Friday, 08/April/2011, 11:49:07 AM | Message # 19
Major general
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011....socom-4

It seems that SOCOM 4 will come with Resistance 3 beta codes.

AlucardDate: Saturday, 09/April/2011, 3:32:11 PM | Message # 20
Colonel
ordered full deployment edition.

nivasan6Date: Monday, 11/April/2011, 12:58:42 PM | Message # 21
Major general
Damn, Alu, lol. I can tell you now that you will have a blast playing SOCOM 4 with the Move especially with the Sharpshooter. I would've pre-ordered that edition as well, but I bought the Helghast Edition and I'm getting the Hero edition of inFAMOUS 2.

What made you order the game?

I can't wait to see the changes they made to Abandoned, hopefully they didn't change much.

A taste on the variety in ways to approach SOCOM 4. The video is showing a single player level, but the same tactics or lack of can also be applied to multiplayer. If you don't use tactics in multiplayer you won't be punished, and it also won't mean it would be a demolishing win for the other team either. I said this earlier, but this game caters to both tacticians and run n gun styles.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011....-a-shot

Message edited by nivasan6 - Monday, 11/April/2011, 5:23:10 PM

AlucardDate: Monday, 11/April/2011, 6:39:15 PM | Message # 22
Colonel
lol i fell in love with the shotty kills! plus shoooting from cover was TOO easy!! but mainly for the single player campaign cool

nivasan6Date: Monday, 11/April/2011, 8:21:30 PM | Message # 23
Major general
The shotty is quite good in SOCOM 4. The first time I used it, I was amazed at how good it was without being overpowering. Lol, shooting from cover is too easy; I hardly used it though. I hope in the retail game Zipper has it so that you can't use cover in a game with classic settings, or at least give us the option to turn the cover system off. I also hope that the campaign is as good and long as the previous games. I will feel cheated if the campaign is shorter than 6 hours.

I like how Zipper introduces new "match types" every week.

The SMG will be fixed on release day. I'm not sure if you noticed it or not, but the SMG in the beta had some ridiculous range and firepower.

nivasan6Date: Tuesday, 12/April/2011, 12:49:33 PM | Message # 24
Major general
"First" video review I found:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-hd-socom-4/712717

It shows some good gameplay footage, and does a good job of explaining why they didn't like certain aspects.

The next review is harsh, and I have a feeling that the reviewer just does not like SOCOM games at all, and seems biased on all levels. I know that everyone is biased, but at least GameTrailers is fair with their reviews. The reviewer claims to have all these issues with the beta, and I'm not buying that one bit. Why would the retail game suffer from all these problems when the beta ran well? The only time I had a problem, was when Alu and I tried getting into a match together. I have never seen any of the other problems. Not to forget, but GameTrailers did not mention any of these problems. I liked how the reviewer said that he put an entire clip into some who JUST SPAWNED. The spawn system in SOCOM ensures that people who spawned aren't gunned down as soon as they appear in the match. So, camping a base and trying to kill someone right when they spawned won't work, and you'll easily get killed, lol. I have not played the retail game, so these problem may exist, but I have a hard time trying to believe what this guy is saying. I'm still surprised how games without dedicated servers and more problems than a chimpanzee can shake a stick at get great review scores, thus increasing sales. Take for example the cod franchise after cod4. Those games suffer from serious connection issues, and glitches, hacks, bugs, etc... Any way here's the joke of a review:

http://www.destructoid.com/review-socom-4-u-s-navy-seals-198597.phtml

Some more reviews:

The Game Informer review is really short, and doesn't explain much. I guess you get the full review if you subscribe to them.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games....-4.aspx

The Playstation Universe review can be seen as heavily biased towards Sony, but they do offer great criticisms for the game. They explain how it is dumbed down and why it would still appeal to the hardcore fans. Alu, this review does a great job of discussing the campaign. I'm guessing most of the problems that people are facing in multiplayer will be fixed as there is a major patch on release day.

http://www.psu.com/SOCOM-4--US-Navy-SEALs-Review--a011291-p1.php0

As of now neither 1up, GameSpot, or IGN have their reviews up yet.

Speak of the devil the IGN review is in:

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/116/1161560p1.html

Message edited by nivasan6 - Tuesday, 12/April/2011, 9:04:01 PM

AlucardDate: Friday, 22/April/2011, 1:15:41 PM | Message # 25
Colonel
currently playing campaign with the sharpshooter on normal difficulty and its been fun so far. my left arm does get tired from holding the gun up lol

nivasan6Date: Sunday, 24/April/2011, 1:02:36 PM | Message # 26
Major general
The campaign is fairly good, but I miss the old SOCOM tactics. I feel cheated that I can only issue "two" commands to them. The team ai is bogus especially on hard difficulty. They seem incompetent, and it makes the game unnecessarily frustrating.

I will most likely play with the Move on my second or third playthrough, most likely the third playthrough because elite difficulty would be a pain using the move, lol. I don't have the SharpShooter, so it makes using the Move somewhat "hard" on games such as Killzone 3 and SOCOM 4. I also don't have the navigation controller, lol.

Alu, what did you think of the brief moments you spent online? I checked your stats, and saw that you played Suppression, and created the clan already. I find the online really enjoyable, and I can definitely see myself playing this for a "long" time.

AlucardDate: Monday, 25/April/2011, 7:15:35 PM | Message # 27
Colonel
lol i dont tell my team to do anything but to stay put proving me with cover fire as i take shit over! i do admit it would die a lot less if they did actually help by giving me said cover fire and automatic kills once i designate a target to take down (>_<) if i target more than one only the first dude gets taken out but the rest are only wounded.

hmm if you dont have the nav controller i think it would be impossible to play...?

the online is just like the beta i played. i often go even or negative at the end due to mostly running around with the shotgun and not knowing some of the maps very well. the camera view sometimes goes into that awkward zoom in(same as the campaign) and obstructs my view while getting me killed at times. ill eventually try the obj games to see how they are but mainly sticking to suppression. sad to say i havent found a party system besides joining friends game option.

finished the game. its too short but it was good i liked it. im gonna go at it on the highest difficulty(elite?) eventually on the ds3 lol

Message edited by Alucard - Tuesday, 26/April/2011, 6:16:05 PM

nivasan6Date: Tuesday, 26/April/2011, 6:12:54 PM | Message # 28
Major general
It's not impossible to play without the navigation controller. All you have to do is hold a DualShock 3 and use the d-pad and either both L buttons or both R buttons. Sony has it so you don't have to buy a navigation controller. It's not hard to do with the DualShock 3, but it isn't comfortable either, lol.

I hate the camera angles. I would running and get stuck on an object, and poof, I'm all up my character's ass, lol. I died a few times when the camera decides to act funny. But, overall the game is a blast. Bomb Squad with standard rules can be fun, but it is also a camp fest. I haven't played anything else besides Suppression and Bomb Squad. I think Bomb Squad would be best with classic rules. I did surprisingly well in all my games. I had 24 kills in my first Suppression and 5 in Bomb Squad. I was positive in both games.

I guess there isn't a party feature then, huh, that stinks.

The co-op is quite fun too.

Leveling up the weapons in competitive online can be a drag. I'm not even close to Mod 1 yet with the first gun I used.

When you entered your Pro code, did you get the AK-47 and M16? I was looking for the M16 to use, but I didn't get it. I got all the other stuff that comes with Pro, such as the Community game modes.

AlucardDate: Tuesday, 26/April/2011, 6:33:37 PM | Message # 29
Colonel
lol no that doesnt sound like fun. im trying to picture playing without the sharpshooter and nav controller and yeh it does look uncomfortable.

i think i always achieved double digit kill in almost every match i played and prolly died as many times as well lol

leveling up the weapons isnt that hard i dont think....just gotta get kills lol suppressors are nice!

i dont know if mine downloaded correctly. when you put in your code did you have to download anything or did it just take you to a thank you screen? and the answer to your question is i dont remember which gun i got or if i got anything at all. i still have my su90s shotgun code that i havent entered. i do remember seeing the extra maps in community

nivasan6Date: Tuesday, 26/April/2011, 6:54:15 PM | Message # 30
Major general
Yea, it just took me to the thank you screen, no download whatsoever. I hope I get the M16, but if not that's fine as long as I get the next weapon pack.

I killed a lot of people with both my Assault Rifle and Sniper Rifle in Suppression, but I'm nowhere near the Mod 1 mark. I would use the SMG's, but they lack range and power. I also prefer doing the burst fire mode on Assault Rifles. Sniping is a pain especially when using a Mod 0 Sniper Rifle, but it is satisfying to get a headshot once in awhile with it.

Prior to picking up SOCOM 4, I was actually saying to myself; maybe I jumped the gun too soon on it. But, it was worth the purchase. It's not as hardcore as the previous games, but it is really fun. It reminds me a lot of MAG, but I wish they didn't have that stupid airstrike whenever you get a 5 kill spree. I do however like that if you don't use it right away you lose it.

Forum » Games We Play (MP & Others) » Others » SOCOM 4
Search:

Copyright DoOrDie86 © 2024