[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Forum » Mess Hall » General Discussion » PSN network outages
PSN network outages
PatrickDate: Friday, 22/April/2011, 11:00:58 PM | Message # 1
Lieutenant
Group: Users
Any of you guys experiencing this? It has been said that asia, australia, north america, and europe has these outages and couldnt go online. I couldnt go on too, it has been 2 days since my last log in. Others say that sony was attacked by a group of hackers named "Anonymous".

Just want know if you guys are dealing with this.

redhamuSLADate: Saturday, 23/April/2011, 5:19:04 AM | Message # 2
Our Sexy Leader
Group: Administrators
Gyeah, pretty sure we're all in the same boat, bro. (>_<)

banion7Date: Monday, 25/April/2011, 9:31:58 AM | Message # 3
Colonel
Group: Moderators
There is an inverse ratio between Time Getting Man Pumped up the Backside by whatever the source of 'no psn for all you fools' is, and Right Index Finger Slams Left Click Button on Amazon co JP "Add to Cart" then "Buy" and a shiny new XBOX appears in my living room.

Simple as that.

I have no brand loyalty (I trust my ability to judge what's good and what's not depending on circumstances) and I honestly give nope, not one shit about which system is better etc etc(never been much for the whole 'Ford vs. Chevy' nonsense) , it has nothing to do with that but you know, "You gotta do what you gotta do, I gotta do what I gotta do. What can I say?" LOL.

redhamuSLADate: Monday, 25/April/2011, 7:24:35 PM | Message # 4
Our Sexy Leader
Group: Administrators
LOL. ban, you are such an addict! Someone heard that the servers in Japan will be going up today, with US/EU following the next day. Can you confirm? I have to wait until I get back home later tonight to check.

Someone posted this up, as a quote, over at sixthnation.com:

Ok, I've seen a bunch of speculation of why people think PSN is down, and I thought I should just post what the community knows in comparison to what Sony is telling everyone. The truth is, there was a new CFW (custom firmware) released known as Rebug . It essentially turns a retail console into a dev console (not fully, but gives you a lot of the same options that usually dev's only have access to).

Anyway, this new CFW was quickly figured out to give CFW users access to the PSN network again via the dev networks. With a little manipulation of the URL's through a proxy server you could get your hacked console back online. Not that big of a deal, right? Well, it also turns out that some people over at NGU found out that you could provide fake CC# info and the authenticity of the information was never checked as you were on Sony's private developer PSN network (essentially a network that Sony trusted). What happened next was extreme piracy of PSN content.

Sony realizing the issue here shut down the network. Now, before you go freaking out about the latest information posted about Kotaku, no ones personal information was accessible via this hack. Not to say they couldn't get it, but no one is admitting to it being available. Anyway, that's the real reason for the PSN downtime. Sony is now rebuilding all of it's PSN servers to be more secure and (hopefully) make sure the CFW users cannot get online anymore.

If indeed this is what happened, I would have shut that shit down too! LOL.

duxy87Date: Tuesday, 26/April/2011, 12:27:16 PM | Message # 5
Major general
man.. i haven't logged on for like 3 weeks and then I try logging in and get this shit happen lol.

Whatever the problem is, it doesn't really bother me but i feel for those poor souls out there who are on psn 24/7. All I know is that Microsoft will be rubbing their hands grinning.

What have u boys been doing in your free time, just playing offline?

nivasan6Date: Tuesday, 26/April/2011, 6:04:59 PM | Message # 6
Major general
This hasn't affected me either, although a little SOCOM 4 online would have been fun those past days. I've been enjoying the single player campaign and Portal 2.

Microsoft should not be rubbing their hands grinning, because their service was down for more than a week around Christmas time. That is much worse than this, in terms of outage. Sony's problem can be worse if our information is compromised. I would hate to lose everything on PSN.

I've also been busy with projects and learning XNA. I should have a small game that I create in the next few months!

AlucardDate: Tuesday, 26/April/2011, 6:08:46 PM | Message # 7
Colonel
lol they say on the blog that it'll be another week. im currently playing crysis 2 campaign, heh. then gt5 happy

GuzmanDate: Wednesday, 27/April/2011, 6:45:31 AM | Message # 8
Lieutenant general
Ehhh. I'd recommend that everyone at least change their PSN & email passwords, or anything associated w/ PSN.

Questions and answers regarding PlayStation®Network/Qriocity Outage

duxy87Date: Wednesday, 27/April/2011, 8:22:55 AM | Message # 9
Major general
the only thing that has got me worried is my credit card details at stake! sad

But i've checked my bank statements every day and there's been no activity as of yet..phew

GuzmanDate: Wednesday, 27/April/2011, 8:26:23 AM | Message # 10
Lieutenant general
Same here dude. Or Identity theft?

Fuck, this makes me uneasy.

nivasan6Date: Wednesday, 27/April/2011, 11:32:51 AM | Message # 11
Major general
I hope these pieces of shit hackers die a slow and torturous death. What the hell is wrong with people? Sure they may seem cool to their small tiny group of fellow idiots, but at what cost?

I can think of many different ways to torture these people, and none of them would be pleasing to watch, or even conduct for that matter, lol.

Do they, the hackers, still have access to Sony's private network? If they do and you change anything they will see it.

GuzmanDate: Wednesday, 27/April/2011, 4:21:00 PM | Message # 12
Lieutenant general
OK, after reading up on identity theft, & whats happened, I feel much better now. Ignorance breeds fear, so the best way to fix it is to understand it!

First, most forms of ID theft requires a SS#. It can happen w/ a name + CC# though. Next, people were pointing out (which is a good point to make IMO) that most of the info taken can actually be readily accessible many other places like a phone book, even w/ a quick search of a name, or even voluntarily posted on sites like Facebook.

Also, apparently this kind of 'massive security/privacy' breach isn't all that uncommon; & each time it happens, while everyone gears up for all this expected fraud, nothing ends up occurring.

We contacted the CC company, & they are well aware of what is going on too, & watching vigilantly. (I'd assume that everyone, everywhere knows) So everything on that front is OK too.

While not good, (w/ the CC# probably being the biggest issue, w/ DoB too) all things considered it's probably not worth stressing over. Lets see what happens.

Quote (nivasan6)
I hope these pieces of shit hackers die a slow and torturous death. What the hell is wrong with people? Sure they may seem cool to their small tiny group of fellow idiots, but at what cost?

Not to get into the moral debate of piracy & such, but I can understand wanting to mod your PSP or w/e to get some games or something. In short, it's your system, your choice of what to do w/ it. But once you start interfering w/ others... Screw you. What happened to the days where people would be upfront about stealing from you? At least when a bank is raided, they've got the nuts to do it!

Quote (nivasan6)
Do they, the hackers, still have access to Sony's private network? If they do and you change anything they will see it.

Don't think so. At least I haven't heard anything about it. They made the right call shutting it down.

Message edited by Guzman - Wednesday, 27/April/2011, 4:21:45 PM

nivasan6Date: Wednesday, 27/April/2011, 5:24:00 PM | Message # 13
Major general
I wouldn't go too far with saying that it's your system do what you want with it. True, that it is technically theirs, but it is also "illegal" to interfere with the hardware, as described is most manuals for the consoles. I know you said you didn't want to get into a debate, but I thought it was worth pointing out. People can mod their systems if they want, but it is also "illegal" on the terms that the company has when purchasing one of their products.

Some people are actually thinking it's because of Steam that these hackers got through, but I'm not seeing a correlation. My Steam account was stolen a few months ago, but I have since regained possession of it.

GuzmanDate: Wednesday, 27/April/2011, 5:55:32 PM | Message # 14
Lieutenant general
Quote (nivasan6)
I wouldn't go too far with saying that it's your system do what you want with it. True, that it is technically theirs, but it is also "illegal" to interfere with the hardware, as described is most manuals for the consoles. I know you said you didn't want to get into a debate, but I thought it was worth pointing out. People can mod their systems if they want, but it is also "illegal" on the terms that the company has when purchasing one of their products.

Yeah, I'm not arguing the legalities of it. The point I'm making is, as long as you leave me, & everyone else alone, & it doesn't affect us, you do w/e you want. If some guy wants to hack his PS3 & run unauthorized code, it's his call; go for it. Just don't go bringing it online, affecting everyone else's experience. That's all.

Quote (nivasan6)
Some people are actually thinking it's because of Steam that these hackers got through, but I'm not seeing a correlation. My Steam account was stolen a few months ago, but I have since regained possession of it.

I saw a few posts about that, but I didn't pay much attention to it. Some were saying that was the reasoning that MS stayed out of the cross-platform play or something?

Message edited by Guzman - Wednesday, 27/April/2011, 5:56:34 PM

nivasan6Date: Wednesday, 27/April/2011, 9:22:50 PM | Message # 15
Major general
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011....ervices

So, for whatever stupid reason Sony decided not to encrypt the personal data table. The credit data table however was encrypted, so there's a possibility that none of that information has been compromised.

There will be an update that requires all users to change their passwords.

After reading that blog post, I'm not worried as much. I hope they don't rush the services back because people are demanding it, I would much rather them resume services a month later and know that everything is secure and safe; than have them resume the services in a week with it being unstable.

Forum » Mess Hall » General Discussion » PSN network outages
  • Page 1 of 3
  • »
Search:

Copyright DoOrDie86 © 2024