Tuesday, 16/April/2024, 11:52:04 AM
Welcome Guest | RSS
[BS!]theBeardedSquirrels!
Main | STATS (player updates + thoughts) - Forum | Registration | Login
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 1
Forum » Mess Hall » General Discussion » STATS (player updates + thoughts) (take a look and tell me what u think)
STATS (player updates + thoughts)
KuzuDate: Wednesday, 12/May/2010, 11:01:08 PM | Message # 1
The Clan Elder
Group: Administrators
i love stats. i love gaming. and i love to get better. below are some tips that have helped me improve that may interest/help u.

Tip: set a goal.
while it may sound like a lame business cliche, its important if u want to improve. those of us who play daily most likely have minimal standards. (ex: at least 1.0kd) if u can admit to that, why not take it a little further? aim for something achievable, but not immediately within ur grasp.

my anal OCD example:
- a buddy of mine, ker112, had about the same total kills and kd. so i was in a silent competition with him
- at 10,000 kills with a 1.5 i wanted to get a 2.0
- since then, i constantly monitor my 'magic number' (deaths x (2) - kills), where (2) is the target KD.
if ur goal is (1.5) with current stats 10,000k / 8,000d (1.25) --> magic number [ 8,000 x (1.5) - 10,000] = 2000
this means, if u want a 'pure' 1.5, u need to get 2000 kills better than a 1.5.
ex: in a game, u go 20/12, so ur magic number is reduced by 2 [12 x (1.5) - 20] = -2 (only 1998 more to go!)
- by monitoring ur magic #, u constantly (and precisely) r aware of how ur playing (if doing well, keep doing what ur doing; if doing poorly, step back, chill, and re-plan ur strategy.)

this may be too extreme for u guys, but it has been -the- key motivating factor for me. i am my harshest critic, so i want to better myself constantly. if u dont set a goal, u will just be content with mediocracy. when u aim for something, u inject more purpose in each life/death. u play more strategic and less callous. u relish the feeling of accomplishment. and u have fun in the process.

btw, if anyone is serious about implementing the magic #, i would enjoy putting up weekly stat updates on the site for all to see (for praise, encouragement, motivation) for individual players. i would like to do this if u guys dont mind to post ur stats. we can give feedback, rate performances, and this and that. think it could be fun and helpful.

KuzuDate: Thursday, 13/May/2010, 0:56:42 AM | Message # 2
The Clan Elder
NOTE:
i think this should be obvious, but id like to explicity state that this idea is merely meant for personal reflection. i would keep a running tab on your weekly/total performance. this is not meant to compare against others (though a friendly rivalvy tween similar players would certainly help to motivate both parties). the only comparisons to be made would be against yourself. since each person can set their own goals, u can choose to set something easy or very challenging. this will allow us to gauge your progress toward achieving said goal. to give u an idea of what im already doing for myself, look below: (if there are other stats u want to include, let me know)

KuzuDate: Thursday, 13/May/2010, 1:40:20 AM | Message # 3
The Clan Elder
edit: text stats look ugly in web forums

banion7Date: Thursday, 13/May/2010, 2:04:11 AM | Message # 4
Colonel
Group: Moderators
Cool Kuzu, stats are always interesting.

But, I think my approach to stats may be somewhat different to yours, kind of the opposite direction, if you will.

It's a bit hard to explain, but my goal is to get better at reading the game and general mechanics, that means aiming and positioning and different maps and that sort of thing, as well as dealing with the range of opponents - from the lucky selection of random noobies to the organized group/clan of smart and skilled players. True enough, I tend to stop for a smoke when Wasteland comes up more often than other maps I'm sure, but I just don't think that map is fun - I've done some good scores on it and everything but well, you know...

I also want to be a certain kind of player, but I realize it takes time and practice to become effective at that style of play. I want my KDR to relect this progress.

What kind of player? I guess 'multi-dimentional' would best describe it, tough in shootouts both long and close range, able to cap zones and stuff when necessary but on the other hand not an 'all for the team at all costs' kind of guy either. Able to be super offensive or defensive when necessary and good with all weapons including Nades etc and Secondaries. Not to say maintaining a large spread between kills and deaths is not important - hell if it's TDM that's all that counts! Of course I want to kill and not die but I want to do it in style.

I don't want to adjust my style (play in a way strictly to raise kill count) or quit yucky games or become one-dimentional in any way for the sake of raising my KDR (we all own the game and I would never criticize someone else's style of play so plz don't get me wrong here if it sounds like I think my way is best because I don't - it's just my way) .

In short, with regard to KDR I am competing with myself. I want it to reflect how capable I am in spawn-traps as well as when I am on the spawn-trapping side. If I want to compete with another player I guess a 1v 1 or comparing in-game events would be best for that but anyway that is not what I'm after in general...

I'm just not so good at this game still, but I'm getting better.

That said, I do set stat goals for myself, like the 3000 spread (pretty pathetic when you consider the total number of kills/deaths we're dealing with here LOL) I just recently accomplished, but what I am trying to say is I passed that mark not because I was chasing it but because I figure I am getting better at doing what I do. But I'd also like to see this magic number or anything else you'd be so kind to organize since well, it sounds like fun.

Added (13/May/2010, 2:04:11 Am)
---------------------------------------------
@Kuz - started writing that last post in bits and pieces hours ago and didn't see the *NOTE - so yeah I knew what you meant but now my post seems a bit redundant haha oh well.

KuzuDate: Thursday, 13/May/2010, 2:59:37 AM | Message # 5
The Clan Elder
@ban:
no, i know what u mean. things are different for each person. i dont play the game for KD. i play to have fun. however, as someone who is competitive and hard on myself, i dont have fun when im getting owned. i therefore strive to better myself in ways to dominate the opposition. i also dont play 1-dimensionally. i play with every wep, from run/gun smgs, silenced ARs, grip + LMGs, sniper rifles, handguns, to shotguns. my real love is for sniping, but i suck balls at it in this game. i do like running around stealthily. i mightily enjoy running and gunning. and i like western style stand-offs. i dont sit in a corner and just camp an entryway. but if guys keep trying to take a point that im near, fuck yeah im gonna milk them for as many kills as i can get. im not saying that you were saying i was implying this, but i understand the superficiality of KD. im not in the least impressed with high KD, especially if players get it using cheap tactics. (which is the main reason i often rage quit; i dont like losing 1v1 battles to noob toobers and commando phags, who didnt earn the kills but exploited game flaws.)

the reason im posting this thread (as im sure uve guessed) and the reason i often bring these things up, is that im a stat whore; have been ever since i started playing fantasy league football, baseball, basketball in Jr. high. then on to RPGs and building the uber-character. i suck at math, yet i love stats. combine my love of stats, love of gaming, and my sports background (though im lazy now) and that makes for one crazy, very driven, super competitive, emotional, stat whoring gamer. stats are not for everyone, maybe its just an aquired taste. i dont play this game to get good stats, but the stats help remind me that im competing at a certain level. no matter what stats i get, i will always know that Red is a better player than me, for example. but trying to catch up to him in certain areas, is something to strive for. u cant physically rate or evaluate someones style of playing; there is no way to capture the essence of a videogame man. yet, if i can improve my gameplay to XX-level, it makes me feel good to have accomplished something tangible. meh, hard to explain what i want to say.

ok. i hope to discourage u from doing a spread, and instead try for a KD goal (as i said, something achievable yet slightly down the road). set a goal .10, .20 points more than what u have now. its not a drastic push, yet its something im sure u can get if u 'stategerize' (bush-ism). ill look up ur stats later, but i need ur goal KD in order to do the Magic number.

banion7Date: Thursday, 13/May/2010, 4:30:48 AM | Message # 6
Colonel
Group: Moderators
Kuz, ahh, ok got it!

Hmm well I supose, since my KD hasn't changed for a while now, like a month maybe (OMFG!) a realistic target KD would be 1.12 for starters, for somewhere to get somewhere down the road.

I suppose a tangible way to make this happen would be to first focus on minimizing those big spread single digit kill and double digit death games and keeping the ones that finish the other way around. In order to do this, ... well again if I had the answer(s) I'd be doing that exact thing! So any advice would be appreciated. There just seems to be no easy way to survive those 'Trapped at A on Skidrow or Terminal' games when a Pavelow and AC130 are up there just murdering my team and you can't spawn w/out getting killed at least once... I know it can be done, since I see guys that come out relatively unscathed but for me still..

Well anyway my goal is to be one of those guys that can handle games like that - and the 1.12 now cool

Yoroshiku ne!!

redhamuSLADate: Thursday, 13/May/2010, 10:28:23 AM | Message # 7
Our Sexy Leader
I suppose my magic number would be a 2.5 kdr? Can you crunch those numbers for me, Kuzu? I know I can do it playing like an asshole, but I'd like to know what I need to do when playing how I want. (^_-)b

Cool thread!

KuzuDate: Thursday, 13/May/2010, 11:09:39 PM | Message # 8
The Clan Elder
guys. sry i didnt go online last night, so couldnt check stats.

would like to get some feedback from u though, prease.

1. my example above is ugly as hell. with just spaces, the #s were very hard to distinguish since they become auto-formatted (maximum of one space between text). as it is now, the underscores are mighty ugly as well, but at least u know what the numbers are referring to more easily. anyone know/suggest a better way to show the stats??

2. would u like individual threads for each person? we could put general information/suggestions in this thread, and maintain separate threads for Ban's stats / Red's stats / Kuzu's stats etc. i think it would be much easier to organize that way. less cluttered.

3. any other stats u want to include?

redhamuSLADate: Friday, 14/May/2010, 9:33:51 AM | Message # 9
Our Sexy Leader
Excel spreadsheet? I was trying to see if there was a way to include tables on the website, but couldn't find anything. Have you looked?

KuzuDate: Saturday, 15/May/2010, 8:14:38 PM | Message # 10
The Clan Elder
Test: Kuzu Stats

i can use a simple Google Doc application. but i dont think i can pop it up here like a regular jpg/gif picture. (well technically i could take a screenshot of it, save it to my computer, then upload the pic to this site each time. but i think thats a pain in the ass.) if u guys dont mind, see if u can view the spreadsheet, and tell me if u think the style/whatever seems ok. i would like for the stats to be seen without any clicking, but i dont know how to do that.

KuzuDate: Sunday, 16/May/2010, 11:17:00 PM | Message # 11
The Clan Elder
in fact, since its a google app, u guys can edit it right from ur computer, and since the link will always be the same, the stats that u (if u dont mind) input will go directly to this site. (i have to look into some settings, but im positive it can be done that way)

KuzuDate: Monday, 09/August/2010, 10:04:38 PM | Message # 12
The Clan Elder
Chub / Red:

im sorry, but since im not playing MW2 at all now, i wont be uploading stats.

if u still want the stats done, just post up total Kills/Deaths + date on ur page, then i can update.
or, give me ur email address, so i can give u permission on GOogle docs to edit it urself.

redhamuSLADate: Tuesday, 10/August/2010, 3:10:28 PM | Message # 13
Our Sexy Leader
NP, dude. Totally understandable.

Forum » Mess Hall » General Discussion » STATS (player updates + thoughts) (take a look and tell me what u think)
  • Page 1 of 1
Search:

Copyright DoOrDie86 © 2024