Thursday, 25/April/2024, 4:55:15 PM
Welcome Guest | RSS
[BS!]theBeardedSquirrels!
Main | Red light of death... - Forum | Registration | Login
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum » Mess Hall » General Discussion » Red light of death... (not on my PS3, but on my TV!)
Red light of death...
KuzuDate: Wednesday, 04/August/2010, 7:58:45 AM | Message # 1
The Clan Elder
Group: Administrators
this just made my day when my wife told me the TV doesnt work. i thought it was the cable box. nope. i thought she was using too much power and the circuit board failed. nope.

i get 3 red flashing lights on the TV panel. which i looked up, and is either [Scan IC or Y-Drive] problem, whatever that means.

the "no TV", aka "tv shows" i can live with temporarily. the "no ps3 gaming" is a fucking kick in the balls!
im so desperate, im thinking of getting some converter for ps3 to PC monitor, if its cheap.

KuzuDate: Thursday, 05/August/2010, 7:52:20 PM | Message # 2
The Clan Elder
have become quite the japan basher as of late, but i gotta hand it to them.
wife called Pioneer. tech came same day. gave us a loaner tv; exact same size and model. very impressed!

however, due to damage to the front panel (ie glass) it blew some fuses inside. will be upwards of 20man (2G's). so we can get a new TV for that price. if ur wondering how the front panel was damaged, wife was pissed one day that i was playing games (after i had gone to sleep), threw a plastic cup at the TV. first time barely scratched it. 2nd time, she fucking made a huge crack in it, which looks like a 4-5inch wide spider web. so i guess im happy to get a new clean tv, but not happy to be wasting money.

wife is deadset on LED. even though she knows nothing about technology and electronics. its true that its the most energy effecient out there, but all reviews say plasma is the better, crisper, more vivid image. anyone (besides red!!) have a nice TV, or can recommend LED over Plasma? im more of a plasma type myself, but im willing to change.

edit: i HAVE notices this; the problem with plasma and playing games is that it suffers from an *image burn*. for example, u play XX-game over and over, hours on end. it will most likely use a HUD, or bullet counter, or something that never moves. that image eventually gets etched into the TV, which is very hard to see (or impossible to notice) depending on the current image. but if the screen is all white , u can see a very light shadow of the HUD/bullet count. also, plasma is glass, so it suffers from glare. i guess those are some reasons to go with LED. thx kuzu!

redhamuSLADate: Tuesday, 10/August/2010, 3:13:47 PM | Message # 3
Our Sexy Leader
So, which TV have you decided to go with? Like I said to you when were talking over Skype, my primary concern for a new TV would be the minimal TV lag for and HD screen while playing games. Are there any lists for that kind of thing on the net? I'd assume the TV's available here would cater to that kind of interest a bit more readily than back in the states.

KuzuDate: Wednesday, 11/August/2010, 8:25:36 PM | Message # 4
The Clan Elder
yah ill fill u in on some shit, since i know u must be thinking of upgrading at some point.
the basic factor for lag is the refresh rate, which is the amount of times the tv displays new images. with ur regular tube tv, they were set at 60Mhz. i think every new HD tv is now at 120Mhz as a standard. some go up to 240Mhz, but there is really no noticeable difference. at 120, there is a 4ms delay between refreshes, which the naked eye can not even detect. so the 240 is not gonna effect things.

im thinking of getting a clear type LED. the full backlit LED tvs (all the tiny bulbs behind the screen light up) is the best quality. but most are edge lit LED, which is almost as good, but still pretty kick ass. there are other factors to consider, like how many HDMI ports *usually about 4 standard now. PC input; most are capable of streaming vids from PC. for more info, check out DLNA. then there is the question of 3D. i personally think its too soon to go out getting a 3D tv, since there are so few reasons to use it. regular TV can be seen on 3D, but it doesnt even change it. the movies look pretty fucking dope, with a whole new dimension (literally) which really spices things up. but paying extra for the BluRay 3Dplayer,and paying individual 3D disc is not something i want to do. so im gonna pass on the technology.

as u mentioned, the plasma uses up much more power. my room literally heats up if i use the tv for a couple hours, since so much energy is emitting from the beast. in winter, thats great. in summer, its nasty, unless u use the AC. also, there is the chance of getting 'image burn', where an image that keeps being displayed gets kinda burned into the screen *although very minimally. with LEDs. this doesnt happen. also, plasma are glossy, so there is the glare problem. though most regular LEDs look kinda plain to me, not as vibrant, and not as clear. so thats why im going with the clear screen LED.

the 2 tvs that caught my eye were the Toshiba Regza Z1 series (47 or 55') and the Sony Bravia KDL-HX800/900 series (46 or 52'). they both have clear-type LED displays.

redhamuSLADate: Thursday, 12/August/2010, 10:28:28 AM | Message # 5
Our Sexy Leader
Saw this in a forum while looking this stuff up...
After following some of the links branching off from that link that Disco_Stu dropped above, I found one article that talked about how input lag typically comes from slow scalers inside the TV.

In other words, a 480i signal not only needs to be deinterlaced into a 480p signal, but it then needs to be upscaled to 720p or 1080p, which causes serious lag. (which makes complete sense... After all, I wrote a whole fracking article about Deinterlacing and Video Cleaning for Arsback in the day.)

What I got from these other articles was that if one uses the Component cable for the Wii (480p) rather than the standard composite cable (480i), it was one less conversion step for the TV to perform, thus reducing input lag.

So I guess the secret is to use the Component input (which I was planning on using anyway...)

This might be interesting too.
A competitive fighting game player breaks it down.

KuzuDate: Friday, 13/August/2010, 4:37:14 AM | Message # 6
The Clan Elder
i didnt read through all of those, but both of those were for ppl playing a PC game on their TV, which is kinda a whole different thing. on top of that, they are 1.5years/2years old, and with this ever-changing technology, things are always getting better. im not worried about lag on a top of the line HDTV.

redhamuSLADate: Friday, 13/August/2010, 10:25:25 AM | Message # 7
Our Sexy Leader
Sorry for trying to help. (>_<)

Pretty sure the second link was from SRK. That's a fighting game website & they are mostly concerned with playing fighting games from the Dreamcast, PS3 & Xbox360...not PC.

Either way, the things I gathered most from the stuff I've read is that 8ms Response Time is acceptable & nothing above that. Also, that if you can't find a set worthy of your expectations, there are monitors/TV's made for businesses called 'digital signage' or something. Many of them have 4ms response time.

*shrug*

KuzuDate: Friday, 13/August/2010, 7:44:06 PM | Message # 8
The Clan Elder
sry for the (quick) dick response. thx for the info! ill give it a full read at some point.

GuzmanDate: Sunday, 15/August/2010, 4:01:29 AM | Message # 9
Lieutenant general
Group: Moderators
Uh, & Not To Be A Dick Myself Kuzu, But It Would Most Likely Be Beneficial To Mention "Huge Cracks" On The TV In The Future, If You Are Seeking Assistance w/ A Problem.

& This Isn't Helpful, But I'm Actually Disappointed w/ HDTVs' Capabilities, Especially Considering How Long It's Been. I'm A Picky & Whiny When It Comes To This, But CRTs Still Reign Supreme. The Only Real Negatives Are Size & Power Consumption. IMO, Sometimes Newer Tech Isn't Necessarily Better.

...K, Bye!

KuzuDate: Sunday, 15/August/2010, 8:06:25 AM | Message # 10
The Clan Elder
Quote (Guzman)
Uh, & Not To Be A Dick Myself Kuzu, But It Would Most Likely Be Beneficial To Mention "Huge Cracks" On The TV In The Future, If You Are Seeking Assistance w/ A Problem.

? cry

just asking which HDTV ppl suggest. the crack was there for a while (months?) so i just kinda assumed it was not life threatening to the TV, but apparently it was!

redhamuSLADate: Wednesday, 18/August/2010, 8:42:54 AM | Message # 11
Our Sexy Leader
So,...any decisions being made or whatever? If you've got Guitar Hero, you can bring that in and test the input lag on the set! (^_-)b

KuzuDate: Wednesday, 18/August/2010, 11:38:04 PM | Message # 12
The Clan Elder
ya, no. im even more confused after reading more stuff...

LCDs have more input lag than any other types.
(by input lag, i come to understand it as <pressing button + how long it takes to get action on ur screen>?)

ive read now that the 240vs120Mhz means almost nothing.
even with a 'better response time' (refresh rate), that doesnt have anything to do with the input lag.

ive also read that the older 60Hz tvs (LCD included) actually have less input lag?? wtf..
so the new TVs have less response time but higher input lag??
and absolutely NO tvs advertise their input lag, only the refresh rate (60/120/240Hz/etc)

tried actually reading the links u gave. i got some more useful things out of them, but also branches off into another 5+ links.
ive seen the HDTV lag report on IGN, but most of those models are either old or completely different names than the japanese counterparts.

ive read that there shouldnt in theory, be lag when a high end game system (ps3) is played in 1080p, and the TVs native resolution displays the same, since there is none of that interlacing/descaling/up-something stuff going on.

saw the guy who did the timeclock tests on several brands. he said the LG was the best (lowest) delay, yet they all looked almost exactly the same; 1-2ms delay... that doesnt clear up anything for me!

then, once i read more carefully, i saw that the PS3 can use that VGA cable to get 1080p image yet get rid of the lag...
that sounds like the way to go...

p.s.
im still lost.

KuzuDate: Wednesday, 18/August/2010, 11:57:13 PM | Message # 13
The Clan Elder
and now the toshiba i liked (Regza 47Z1 or 55Z1) doesnt have a VGA port...

having a good look at Kakaku.com. great list of the cheapest bargains out there. and pretty well trusted.

KuzuDate: Thursday, 19/August/2010, 3:17:27 AM | Message # 14
The Clan Elder
not definite at all, but this was the other TV (or TVs) that i had my eye on.

the Sony KDL 46HX900 (or 52' version) as well as Sony KDL 46LX900 (or 52').

i saw this at Midori Denki (as with the Toshiba) and was very impressed by the image quality.
when i look at the other features, it makes me a little more wet as well.

but they have a few minor differences. HX has no built in 3D or glasses, but has slightly better image quality due to the full backlit LED. (glasses are 75-150$ new, and 3D tuner is 100$, so not a big deal really). guess i should go with the HX900.

both are 240Hz, with 4 HDMI slots, VGA slot, component (D5) and other goodies.

also just found out that the PS3 will be upgraded via firmware to enable 3D. simple as pie. just put in 3D movie in ps3 + 3DTV, and ur in!
http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010....s-games

KuzuDate: Thursday, 19/August/2010, 11:07:13 PM | Message # 15
The Clan Elder
update:
forgot to factor that i have the Hauppauge PVR recorder!

so, i was thinking:
PS3 <av multi -- component> PVR <component -- (VGA hopefully?)> Sony HX900

some ppl say the component to VGA will not work, since the PS3 cant output higher than 500-ish to analog.
others say it works as long as the display (tv/monitor) can handle the YPrPb through the VGA port.

omg im getting a headache.
so to play with a big screen tv with a great picture = input lag
if i play with a tiny tv with a poor picture = no input lag

awesome...

Forum » Mess Hall » General Discussion » Red light of death... (not on my PS3, but on my TV!)
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright DoOrDie86 © 2024