Saturday, 20/April/2024, 3:00:33 AM
Welcome Guest | RSS
[BS!]theBeardedSquirrels!
Main | My opinion on MW2, in it's current state. - Forum | Registration | Login
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Forum » Games We Play (MP & Others) » Call of Duty » My opinion on MW2, in it's current state.
My opinion on MW2, in it's current state.
redhamuSLADate: Friday, 05/February/2010, 3:04:06 AM | Message # 1
Our Sexy Leader
Group: Administrators
So, here's the deal for me regarding MW2. 

An FPS that requires skill above all else is the most attractive to me as a player. I talk about it a lot, but what do I mean more specifically? Hopefully the rest of my post will outline a more tangible idea as to what this word means to me.

Over everything else, skill should be rewarded in FPS's (not slop). In an FPS you should be especially rewarded for a few things, imo. In no particular order:

1. Successfully approaching the enemy without them knowing it/intelligent stealth. 

Shotguns should remain supreme here, but only at range 0-1. Sadly, this game provides incredible range & spread on some of it's shotties. Infinite Claymore's also acts as a huge deterrent to this type of gameplay & make it such that players DON'T have to keep their heads on a swivel. Players DON'T have to keep on the move. As a matter of fact, the game seems to reward staying in one place. Most buildings have a maximum of 3 ways to enter. Stay put! Two Claymores & a red-dot camp at the 3rd entrance do wonders. Yuck?  

2. Shooting people in the face/superior specific aim.

The face is smaller than the body. As such, it is more difficult to hit, thus taking more skill to hit intentionally & for prolonged amounts if time. Unfortunately, this game is such that bodyshots do incredible amounts damage. Why aim for the face? What does this game actually promote? Reward for aiming at a larger target?!  Can you imagine the rewarding feeling that you've intentionally & skillfully out-aimed your opponent who was burst body-shotting you (3 bursts to body vs. 1 burst to the face)? It would be AWESOME and that reward would actually encourage people to get better! There's an advantage to actually AIMING?!

There is no 'specific aim' reward in this game. It's all about 'general aim' & in the next section I'll go into a little more detail about that.

3. Superior reactions/response speed/general aiming skill.

80% of the people out there playing FPS's can't aim, imo.  How about in high pressure/response situations? That I'll be able to run through these people with ease, if I can aim & do so better than my opponent under pressure, should be a reasonable expectation, as this IS supposed to be a SHOOTER. MW2 reality, however, doesn't follow this idea at all. 

Rockets & 40mm's require no skill or at least close to zero (as I suppose you need to aim in the *general* direction of the opponent). A monkey could kill someone intentionally with one of them in this game. Compound this with the fact that players get infinite rockets & 40mm's (not to mention Danger Close, which is an oxymoron in itself) and you've got an "FPS" that redhamu is going to become disenchanted with real fast. It's essentionally NOT an FPS anymore. Not only that but there's no way to get *better* except by learning to use and/or avoid rockets & 40mm's better...which makes absolutely no sense to me.  To get better I've got to become a better no-skilled scrub? No thanks.

In conclusion,...

When I die in an FPS, I want to feel as though I've been out-skilled, out-strategized and/or out-experienced.  I want to know that if I play more, have the desire & skill to do so, that I can level up my game. These things do not exist in MW2. It's a completely dissatisfying experience because of it, except for games where no one uses rockets & 40mm's and/or some customs.

This is how I see it & will continue to do so, until IW changes things.

GuzmanDate: Friday, 05/February/2010, 8:34:28 PM | Message # 2
Lieutenant general
Group: Moderators
So, No More MW2 Eh?

Well, You Are Welcome On UC2.

(*^_^*)

KuzuDate: Saturday, 06/February/2010, 9:06:52 PM | Message # 3
The Clan Elder
i feel u for the most part. this has definitely been one of the most frustrating games i have ever played, yet at the same time i keep yearning to play it more. i think its probably due to the fact that, well, im very easy (when it comes to games/women).

they have just done too much with this game. even though MW1 had perks, they were only minor addons. they didnt completely change the way ppl play, like in MW2. there are just too many things to exploit and abuse. i completely agree with u red about the fact that this game does not really involve skill (ie positioning, aiming, techniques) but more about knowing how to 'abuse' the situation.

i did well in MW1, and was proud of that, since i earned my kills either by flanking or by making nice (aimed) shots. this game is all about getting group kills, then calling in a killstreak to just further the destruction. and thats it.

i agree that many ppl are poor aimers. but im one of those ppl. i found a way to make it work for me by smart tactics in MW1 or KZ2, but i cant consistantly make it work in this game. i will always get marathan-rushed or out-aimed or toobed to death.

i really wish they put in a no-perk mode, so its just mano a mano, gun vs gun. but i will keep playing this game cuz i like all the guns, the challenges that go with them, and just the feel of each one.

AngDate: Thursday, 11/February/2010, 11:15:09 PM | Message # 4
Lieutenant colonel
Group: Users
WTF? So I find out that the latest firmware update and playing MW2, has killed FAT PS3s. A LOT of players are reporting the same thing that happened to my PS3. Nice, very very nice. angry

Screw it, I am just going to buy a new one. I see red seems to have given up on MW2. lol
Maybe I will try Bad Company 2.

redhamuSLADate: Friday, 12/February/2010, 5:28:59 AM | Message # 5
Our Sexy Leader
Kuzu: Yeah. A no-perk "barebone" mode might actually get me back. That and/or Old-School FFA might do the trick. I've got my fingers crossed, but don't really expect anything from them.

Marsh: Basically. I just don't see the point in a game where skill isn't elevated above the filth. (>_<)

I've put in a little time on BFBC2 & haven't really seen anything too impressive. Vehicles are mad overpowered & the action always seems to be so damn far away. I also can't tell where I'm getting shot from, both through sound and detection. For some reason it does feel a bit better than the beta, however. It's also a bit too squad based. I don't think you can make a huge individual contribution. As such, a good squad would be the way to go, but being put in with randoms might get a bit tiring and/or frustrating.

GuzmanDate: Friday, 12/February/2010, 11:09:48 PM | Message # 6
Lieutenant general
Quote (redhamuSLA)
I've put in a little time on BFBC2 & haven't really seen anything too impressive. Vehicles are mad overpowered & the action always seems to be so damn far away. I also can't tell where I'm getting shot from, both through sound and detection. For some reason it does feel a bit better than the beta, however. It's also a bit too squad based. I don't think you can make a huge individual contribution. As such, a good squad would be the way to go, but being put in with randoms might get a bit tiring and/or frustrating.

That Pretty Sums Up The Cons of The Game For Me. When I Do Well, & Have A Good Squad, The Game Can Feel Very Rewarding. Being An Engineer, & Maneuvering Around Tanks To Blast 'Em, Or Being A Sniper & Nailing A Moving Target Is Cool. (Even If It Has Little Difficulty, Except When Compensating For Distance/Movement.)

In The End Though, It's Probably More Frustrating. One of The Things That Really Irks Me Is How The Guys That Roll in Tanks The Entire Match Are Always At The Top Of The Scoreboard. It's Rare That I Manage To Outdo Them.

Message edited by Guzman - Saturday, 13/February/2010, 5:37:14 AM

AngDate: Sunday, 14/February/2010, 9:06:23 PM | Message # 7
Lieutenant colonel
Yeah, I see what you mean red. lol
The thing is, I am just afraid of playing MW2 again and losing another PS3. lol
A buddy wants to sell his, so if he still has his receipt, I will buy it for 200 bucks; it's not even a month old.

How does Uncharted 2 play online, I see Guz loves it. happy
I hope Resistance 3 takes skill. >_>

Happy Valentine's Day! I love you all! <3 beer
Y'all better have treaded your ladies right today, because March 14th is around the corner. **wink** **wink**

KuzuDate: Monday, 15/February/2010, 6:58:58 PM | Message # 8
The Clan Elder
lmao.
while banion pleaded to get red to play some mw2 with us, and we made a party of 6 (ban,dux,red,me,mj,alu), it just turned into a disaster. we either got noob toobed x6 or got spawn trapped, THEN noob toobed and camp killed, or some other cheap ass tactic.

i just dont get it. the game does have good potential. it just gets ruined when ppl resort to those tactics in mass numbers.
but what i really dont get is why im lagging with 4 bars, fiber optic internet, playing against a full room of japanese.

this lag aspect is killing me and making me rage quit more than ever.
ex: while waiting behind cover, i hear footsteps. i crouch and get ready, wait for guy to come into my line of sight. ADS on his chest. put 6 rounds into him. Replay: im dead, i shoot off 1 bullet.
or better yet. head to head. i strafe left. im landing shots a bit before he lines up on me. Replay: he takes no fire. my shots are going off 15degrees from where hes standing. wtf.

i got a new set of headphones: ATH-A900 they are really nice and comfy. quality is great.
i ordered the FPS freek. they are little caps to go on top of the analog sticks. hope they come soon and help my aim.

but even with these product enhancements, it wont help remedy the flaws in this game. why do i keep playing, u say? cuz i have to... why do wifes go back to husbands that beat them? cuz they are too scared to run away.

AngDate: Tuesday, 16/February/2010, 9:56:57 AM | Message # 9
Lieutenant colonel
Kuzu, you beat your wife? D: j/k

Here is the thing: New multiplayer FPS comes out, people play the game 24/7, then they get bored and start using those "cheap ass tactics." It has been like that with every single FPS. Don't forget about the fun patches that most likely create bugs.

KuzuDate: Tuesday, 16/February/2010, 7:03:22 PM | Message # 10
The Clan Elder
Quote (Ang)
Kuzu, you beat your wife?

actually she beats me. i threw soap bubbles at her during an argument. then she threw a spoon at the back of my head. and when one tiny soap bubble got on some food, she threw all the food away. (afraid of the horrendous chemicals of a tiny bubble). scary.

yah anyways im sticking with mw2 whether i like it or not. lol. i still enjoy the hell out of using all the different weapons and attachments. recently been loving vector for close battles, famas + holo for long range semi-sniping, and m9 with extended mags. pop popoppopop. i think there are like 15 rounds. schweet.

duxy87Date: Wednesday, 17/February/2010, 6:09:02 AM | Message # 11
Major general
Firstly i can understand reds compassion towards various issues of the game. My only problem with the game is the inconsistency of good connection. I'm use to the lagging but seriously out of 50 games only a handful i actually get full green bars ( the rest usually around the yellow mark). I also get frustrated with people using grenade launches as it proves some people don't have skill and resort to play dirty. Other than that, i'm sticking to this game till the cows come home.

I've set myself a challenge to keep me occupied and this is to complete various challenges as i wana collect titles/emblems .. Yes one of those is to get 10 nukes.. I usually stick to the SCAR with extended mags, double 1887 shotties.

banion7Date: Thursday, 18/February/2010, 6:18:07 AM | Message # 12
Colonel
Wow I didnt realize yesterday was December 26th...

Last night for whatever reason the GW and DOM servers were soft. I was able to kill at will; aside from one game where the teams were severely unbalanced I was under 5 deaths and over 25 kills - 40 or 50 a round actually and I finished at the top of the roster every game. Now I'm not saying I was that good, just that the my gaming chums were that bad., and this was playing my usual get-my-hands-dirty attacking style. Really.

The unsettling thing is, I found I was actually getting that "I'm bored" feeling for the first time since I started playing the game, and I attribute that to ez opponents.

The "cheap shots", "cheap" tactics, cheap weapons, lucky bombs from miles away, lag, the supremely gifted aim-and-shoot-you guys, whatever. Elements and players that give me problems give drama to the game. I believe that if the mw2 experience was like last night, night after night where I can outsmart/outcounter/outgun the other team so handily, manhandle them, I would loose interest and find a challenge somewhere else. Until that day comes, I guess I'm in wth this game too.

To me, fighting hard and going 20 and 20 and the win is a lot more satisfying/fun than doing a more casual 56 and 5. I don't care about stats, I do not play for stats and my stats attest to that. I view stats like KDR as a loose indicator of my development as a player, but certainly not as a clear indicator of another player's sklill level - there are simply too many variables involved to take a player's kill death ratio as the end all and be all.

A good game to me is one that presents problems that must be overcome with a combination of strategy and skill. Could be the same problems over and over but the way in which you tackle them may be different each time. There should be other stuff like cool colors and sounds that draw me to it as well. That is where the entertainment comes from, and the everyday popularity of (spectator and recreational) sports such as baseball or golf over sports such as olympic high jump or shot put, where skill and technique reigns supreme over strategy or tactics, demonstrates how important that is to most people.

Pwnage is fun for a spell, but it gets old fast. Cheapness that pisses me off or players with superior skills (though as I build my own skills these guys are getting fewer and further between - though there still seem to be lots left!), whatever, on the other hand fuels motivation and interest. I believe there's always a way around each tactic and each weapon, and it is this depth in this game that is fun.

**loose thoughts typed sporadically through the day at work, so pardon inconsistencies, cohesiveness what have you - I havnt spent any time proofreading...**

KuzuDate: Thursday, 18/February/2010, 11:51:41 PM | Message # 13
The Clan Elder
banion is so pure *blush*

i, on the other hand, enjoy raping other men (and sometimes kids/girls).
there is just something so satisfying about chopper gunner-ing 15 ppl in 30 seconds. +50 +100 +150!

redhamuSLADate: Friday, 19/February/2010, 8:43:09 AM | Message # 14
Our Sexy Leader
Ahh...stats & playstyles--a never ending debate.  

From the perspective of a person that cares little for stats, stat-whores are detestable because they don't push or whatever.  From a stat-whore's perspective, however, saying "I don't play for stats" like it's a virtue could make it seem like you think playing for them is wrong & could be interpreted as just a rationalization as to why someone's stats aren't spectacular or whatever.  From both extreme stances, the other is harming the team more.  People play however they play because it's fun for them and I'm not here to criticize or pass judgement on either side.  I also don't play for stats, but personally view some forms of dying as senseless, of no help to the team & in some instances absolutely detrimental to it.  See: mad over-powered killstreaks.  

I play to be productive.  At different times that calls for different things.  If all our members are rushing, someone has to hold.  What use is it to cap a zone, if all you are doing is swapping them?  If everyone's at the front, someone has to flank and/or take care of the other team's flankers.  
What good does it to push when all you are going to do is get side/back-busted? And so on.

Productive.  That's a key word for me. Well, that & Consistency.  The main problem here is that I feel my productivity as a player is not determined by ME, but the game itself & since the lag is so bad, I have no idea how to be productive the way I want to play.  Unsatisfying & frustrating.  A statement before going any further that I hold as fact:

Lag is not a challenge you can overcome & MW2's lag is exceptional compared to most other competitively played titles.  

A constant issue, the lag causes hotzones to be almost impossible to manuever productively.  I can't trust what I see on my screen.  What can I base any of my actions, reactions or predictions on, if the only information coming in is faulty?  There is nothing to learn from that except distrust in the game itself.  Is it really too much to ask for consistency from the developers?

I have faith in my reactions & aim, but zero faith in the game.  How can I move?  I want a game that reflects who is better, not a game that reflects who is least affected by the lag.  In head up situations, the ones that are the most fun for me, this is EXACTLY what it looks & feels like.  You cannot deny it.  P2P is not the way to go for an international release of such caliber, no matter your reasons for playing the game and/or what motivates you.  IW get the eternal gasface for this move.

I also have a small request for you, banion.  Could you clarify your mainstream vs Olympic sports analogy point a bit, please?

banion7Date: Friday, 19/February/2010, 12:38:42 PM | Message # 15
Colonel
Well, "stats" is a broad concept and within the strict idea of number of kills vs number of deaths, there are several factors at play that can take away from or add to what it means. It represents what a player has cumilatively done in his career playing a game, but in order to give it meaning it needs to be broken up intogame modes, ie a strict FFA player should have a better ratio than a Headquarters player if they are equally as skilled at killing and not dying, but even then his ratio realy needs to be calulated with his rate of kills in terms of time (efficiency) as well as the adjusted KDRs of players met (ie more weght for kills against players with better ratios, less for killing a noob - not rank, his own ratio), caliber of teammates in team modes, as well as number of games quit out and the circumstances in which these incomplete games occured, as well as win percentage and so on and so forth.

In short, it's an imperfect science. I am not accusing anybody of playing a certain way that is detrimental or sefish or whatever, just that KDR is way too inconsistent itself for it to be a definative representation of a player's overall skill level.

Efficencey... yes, what is that. Take the situation for example in a small map like Scrapyard, and it's Domination - you are capping a zone and a nade come in and it is clear that you are going to die - but you also know you have a good chance of capping the zone before it goes off, and you do it and die - respawn and you have time to make it back and take out the guy or guys there trying to take it back. Then, you stay and guard the base but take a few hits keeping guys out, but you hold it for loong enough for your team to win the game. Your KDR is about 1.0 through allthat.

You, instead let the base stay and work the perimeter of the map, and use your superior 1v1 skills to take out opponents trying to flank your team and get a killstreak going. You kill a bunch of players and clear the way for your team to take back those zones and maybe win the game. Your KDR is quite high.

You play it safe and protect yourself and find a good vantage point to get some kills. You pick off a few guys and manage to stay out of harm's way. You finish the game having had virtually no effect on the result, except your team, essentially, was playing a man short, and lost. Your KDR is 5.5

Who's got the best KDR? Who was the mose efficient? Itgoes on and on.

As far as the analogy, perhaps a trapeze artist may convey it better. Doing what they do takes a lot of skill, and it is spectacular to watch, for a while. But, they need a controlled environment to do what they do consistently. They are free to shoose whatever equipment to use, well since it is not a competitive pursuit, but anyway skill in this case is much more important than tactics. Like a montage if you will, spectacular at least for a few views if its good, but this wears off eventually.

If you consider the high jumper, he is free to use whatever equipment as well, in this case clothes and shoes, and his competitors are also free to use whatever they want as long as it is in compliance with the rules. The winner is the guy with the best ability,or the guy who can do the best on that day.

Golf players have a set of variables like wind, conditions of the course, equipment, etc. Some are controlable, some are not, like wind. Sometimes wind is favorable, sometimes not. Sometimes you get a lucky bounce, sometimes you do not. Everyone is free to use the equipment they feel is best for them, from the latest carbon fiber stuff to the hardcore Jack Nicklaus steel shaft axe clubs. I think its fairly safe to say the guy using the 30 year old balls and steel shaft wooden driver in some cases is playing at a disadvantage, but if his claim is that it is unfair, or unsportsmanlike, or untraditional to use modern equipment since it compensates for a players shortcomings as a golf player, he has little ground to stand on since it is his choice to use legal PGA equiptment just like everybody else. Sorry, its late and I think Im getting unfocused here but I think you know what Im getting at.

Tiger Woods prevails more often than not through all this, because he is better than everybody else, but also because he uses the best resources that are available for him to maximize his results. Sometimes he plays like shit, but he still finishes the round, he doesnt just walk off the course when it is cleasr that he will not have a good round.

This is interesting, watching him and te other players do wha normal people cant, but it happens within the context of a game - the trapeze artist does his thing too but thats a circus. People dont watch the circus over and over.

Edit: whoops, sorry bout all the typos - it was late and cold LOL. Also, by "efficient" I think I was meaniing to say "productive" in some cases...

Message edited by banion7 - Friday, 19/February/2010, 6:03:51 PM

Forum » Games We Play (MP & Others) » Call of Duty » My opinion on MW2, in it's current state.
  • Page 1 of 2
  • »
Search:

Copyright DoOrDie86 © 2024