Main | COD: Black Ops - Page 20 - Forum | Registration | Login
[ New messages · Members · Forum rules · Search · RSS ]
Forum » Games We Play (MP & Others) » Call of Duty » COD: Black Ops
COD: Black Ops
KuzuDate: Thursday, 20/January/2011, 4:29:01 AM | Message # 286
The Clan Elder
Group: Administrators
Quote (banion7)
why not accept it for what it is and not worry about a stat like KDR so much.

i AM guilty of caring about stats, but so what? i dont play the game JUST to get good numbers! i play to have fun. i play to complete the objective (which is kinda ironic, seeing as how the game u play is TDM.. the objective being to kill). i play to compete against other humans, to feel the satisfaction and adrenaline of knowing i outplayed the other guy. i play the game as if it was an actual sport. "why care about stats?" is like saying a major league baseball player shouldnt care about his batting average and just play the game for fun.
EDIT: i dont mean to say, the player should *only* care about stats, but that it is natural to care since he is a competitive athlete.

Quote (banion7)
I get pissed off by a lot of things in the game, like ... lag, intrinsic design flaws in the game, the other guy outsmarting me or even when I lose fair and square but he's simply better - I hate losing, probably more than most people. However, there are times where it is out of my hands. Of course I would prefer that my only deaths were the result of my lack of skill or bad decidsions but that is not the case.

u contradict urself. u get pissed by lag, yet u dont mind it? u dont like flaws in the game, but u dont mind if every player is effected negatively/positively by lag? u dont mind dying when the other guy outplays u, but what if YOU outplayed him but STILL died to lag? u dont like losing but dont attribute lag to the result?

killstreaks? what does that have to do with the discussion of lag?

Quote (banion7)
would you feel the same way if there were no recorded cumilative KDR statistic in the game

YES. i dont play for KDR. i play to win, for a team and personal victory, ie challening myself to improve. i can accept losing by being outplayed. i dont accept losing/dying simply because i lag, even if i played better. its not about stats, its about enjoying moving my player, having his actions played out onscreen, and affecting the gameworld im in. if my shots dont land where i put them, if my player does not move where i moved, this takes the fun out of GAMING, period.

no time to dig up all the posts, but even u said how "u can get a string of great games where u felt it was effortless to do well". do u really think this was because ur (EDIT: at whatever level) for X-games, then suddenly ur skill increases threefold for 10-games, then reverts back? no. its because u had a good connection, and they had a shitty one, most likely. even u said that wasnt fun for u. but i dont see why u think dying from lag IS fun. u think u can overcome the challenge of that? u like to do ur best, which is a great quality dude. but maybe ur giving the enemy too much credit! its not that their better than u necessarily; its that they have a good connection and u lag.

every game boils down to who has a better connection (for us, at least, since we often fight against US players, J-players, or whoever is in between. it is not so much a matchup of wits, skill, and working together so much as it is whoever has the good connection will most often rape face. i dont see how that is fun; to lose purely because of a serious handicap u or ur team suffers, constantly.

banion7Date: Thursday, 20/January/2011, 4:35:25 AM | Message # 287
Colonel
Group: Moderators
Quote (Kuzu)
i just dont get u , ban. u like to argue, that is fine and dandy. but why are u so sympathtic to the games that cant even get the ONE thing right that effects EVERY SINGLE PERSON playing it? dont u find that retarded? its like saying to a race car driver, "dont complain that ur car has slow acceleration or faulty brakes. just be happy that u are driving at all." if u drive, and u like to go fast (or win the race), or just feel the satisfaction of having ur car respond to how u intended to handle it, then u would understand where im coming from dude. if u race, but dont care if it handles the way u wanted it to, or think "hey, i dont mind if u tweak my car so that it accelerates slower", then please tell

I do everything I can to get the most out of my car, and my own driving, in relation to this analogy. But I think this is not the issue,the issue is with the track. This is exactly the reason I abandoned the chubakka account - I couldnt stand getting put in with crappy connections any longer. But for the moment, what other track do we have to drive on??

Im not sympathetic towards the game, I know there are a lot of things that could be improved. Dunno what's happening with that, but are they going to fix anything anymore or is that it, like mw2?

redhamuSLADate: Thursday, 20/January/2011, 5:18:10 AM | Message # 288
Our Sexy Leader
Ban, the link wasn't directed at you, it was directed at the topic at hand. That's why I put the other thing with your name directly. My bad. I was trying to say that the issue with lag in COD games has been ever-present & will continue to exist until they buck up & give the consumer dedicated servers.

I'm doing this shit from my celly cuz I'm at onsen right now!

KuzuDate: Thursday, 20/January/2011, 8:31:27 AM | Message # 289
The Clan Elder
Dux: im sorry that it affects u in that way. just know that none of us hold any ill feelings that COD discriminates against u! we dont want u to feel bad at having something like that happen. we all get a frozen PS3 (could it just be bad coding with COD games?). who knows. we will patiently wait for u, buddy.

Ban: im sorry if my lag rant has crossed boundaries and become a ban rant. that was not my purpose. i was a bit flustered that u mentioned the stats thing, but i know when i started out FPS i didnt care about that either. i was just enjoying playing, as im sure u are too. that said, i still think my race car analogy is pretty spot on! =) a player needs to control himself accurately, otherwise he is just an accident waiting to happen. likewise, a racer needs control of his car, not the track, in order to perform well. the track is like the map. definitely shapes how the game is played, but does not affect how the racer controls his actual movement.

Kuz: i do vow to stop supporting companies that give the players the shaft. i will still play the games i have, and try to milk as much enjoyment out of them as i can. ill probably be playing it right after this post, but the more lag creeps into my brain and effects my equilibrium, the closer i will be to 'retiring' the game.

banion7Date: Thursday, 20/January/2011, 8:57:51 AM | Message # 290
Colonel
Quote (Kuzu)
Ban: im sorry if my lag rant has crossed boundaries and become a ban rant. that was not my purpose. i was a bit flustered that u mentioned the stats thing, but i know when i started out FPS i didnt care about that either. i was just enjoying playing, as im sure u are too. that said, i still think my race car analogy is pretty spot on! =) a player needs to control himself accurately, otherwise he is just an accident waiting to happen. likewise, a racer needs control of his car, not the track, in order to perform well. the track is like the map. definitely shapes how the game is played, but does not affect how the racer controls his actual movement.

Yo kuz no offense taken at all - and don't get me wrong, I think stats are fun and important, but I take it with a grain of salt - the game is just too inconsistent for me to give KDR too much weight. Otherwise, I wouldn't play mostly TDM and the SPAS12 wouldn't be my second most used gun by a longshot lol and I would wear killstreaks that get me kills instead of streaks that mostly just distract the other team. I recognize that u have much more experience with FPSs and you are a better player than me in every aspect, but I wonder what your KDR would be if you used the SPAS12 all the time and played mostly TDM?? I want to get into gun battles and win them, that's what's fun for me. I take virtually no satisfaction in predicting spawns or monitoring choke points or farming kills in a spawn trap situation. That's just me.

When we play as a team I may have other objectives. Just saying expecting the game to give you a good hand every time so your KDR can keep going up is unrealistic since the game is what it is and it is also a recipe for frustration and then abandonment of the game altogether.

I do care about doing well every game, and I get frustrated when some lucky Fer gets me or I outplay someone but I get killed by dumb teammates, lag, etc.. Hell I get pissed off when guys are better than me too! it's what drives me to get better. I refuse, however, to let a bad game linger any longer than the lobby screen since I am not a major league player, and I am doing this purely for enjoyment.

I am not the best communicator sometimes, (haha, ORLY??) and I'm sure by now you can see that this is really all about my however misguided efforts to persuade you to continue playing this game since I want to play it more and it's better when we can play together. Do you know who I have on my friends list? You and dux and Guz and Red and my RL friend and a few others that are somehow connected to the squirrels and thats it. If you stop, it's just gonna get lonely you know?? And that's the selfish matter at the core of all this debate, at least from my side.

banion7Date: Thursday, 20/January/2011, 9:00:14 AM | Message # 291
Colonel
And wow Red, what u doing pimpin it up at an onsen and all that?? LOL.

redhamuSLADate: Thursday, 20/January/2011, 10:07:51 AM | Message # 292
Our Sexy Leader
LIVIN' THE LIFE, SON!

nivasan6Date: Thursday, 20/January/2011, 1:25:36 PM | Message # 293
Major general
Trouble in paradise, guys?

GuzmanDate: Thursday, 20/January/2011, 4:31:37 PM | Message # 294
Lieutenant general
First off, I'm with Kuzu; I will not get any future COD games or Map Packs. Even if you guys planned on doing it, COD is just not my kinda game to begin with. Playing w/ you all is definitely cool, but honestly, it doesn't work. Winning & stats aren't all that matters to me, (they do somewhat) but it really gets to me when we party up & lose games cause I/Dux/Dlast whoever cant keep up connection wise. & the thing is we BARELY lose. Anther example is say its me, red, Kuzu, Dux together. Why, why does it give use 2 other TMs that not only suck huge donkey nuts but also have 2 Bar connections, while the entire opposing team is comprised of full-bar Js?

Quote (Kuzu)
TBH, i could care less about where im spawned or if the enemy is spawning inside my bunghole. i say this because that doesnt even compare to the utter frustration of playing on crippled connections. if i cant even hit the target in real time, why even bother playing online?

LOL. True that!

Regarding the whole stat thing, & playing for each round independently, I honestly can say that this would have no effect on how I feel about the game. I'm a nerd, I care about my stats to an extent. To me, playing how you want, switching it up, etc & generally holding the same level of performance is what I like. Consistency. I care about my stats to the point that they accurately reflect my ability as a player without having to tailor my playing style to a certain way. An example is UC2 for me. My K/D there is a 3.15; I did whatever I felt like, not relying on power weapons, etc. There were guys w/ 4.0s but they were stupid as they couldn't do anything except camp it up w/ a big party.

Anyway, the point of this is that there is no level of consistency with this game. Even your "bars" are not that telling; I've dominated in games w/ 2 against decent players, & got stomped w/ 4 against crap players. Thing is, it goes both ways too. The sense of accomplishment is non-existent really, regardless of if you go 4-15 or 40-3. I get beat up, I usually call total bullshit on at least 75% of my deaths. Conversely, dominating in a game just sort of has that "eh" feeling associated w/ with it. Did I truly beat them? Were they just on the short end of the connection stick this time? Basically, regardless of the outcome, the game feels very empty to me. I've actually begun to disregard my stats, but even playing "one round at a time" the level of frustration is just too high. & I'm not what I'd consider an "angry" player, but no other game makes me rage like CoD. Playing with you guys is kinda lame too, as Dux said, I feel like a liability.

Without going into game mechanics too much, another thing that really gets me is that poor player not only can outgun you, but can do well. There is nothing that bothers me more than KNOWING you beat that guy in that head to head duel, only to have the game call it in his favor. & it happens constantly. In resistance, 40Mil scrubbers may annoy the hell out of you, but at the end of the day they go even. COD is the only game I know of where this doesn't hold true. In the end, the outcome of the game is left to chance, yours or theirs. While I won't deny that it can be fun, the fact that all encounters outcomes are seemly random kills it.
& the way they treat everyone is flat out not OK..

To be clear, I will continue to play this game out till its life-cycle ends. But no future purchases from me. Stick to your guns, K, Kuzu?

Message edited by Guzman - Thursday, 20/January/2011, 4:38:47 PM

GuzmanDate: Thursday, 20/January/2011, 4:31:48 PM | Message # 295
Lieutenant general
Quote (duxy87)
It just feels that whenever I pick up the control and wanting to have a good online experience, It's more of a 'winning ticket' situation.

Excellent way to describe it Duxman. Your performance really doesn't feel like its determined by you or your actions in the least.

Quote (duxy87)
SUCH AS THIS: you don't know how frustrating and guilty I feel when I'm the only player in a party who gets kicked, causing everyone else to back out just to get me back in again.

I know where you're coming from dude, but seriously, don't feel bad about it. Its just how it is. I definitely prefer to wait a couple minutes for you than proceed w/o you on our team. ^_-

Quote (duxy87)
As i've spoken to red, kuz and guz recently, I feel that I've lost my touch too... perhaps because I'm not caring as much.

Same. "Improving" isn't something I aspire to do here.

Quote (redhamuSLA)
I'm doing this shit from my celly cuz I'm at onsen right now!

Posting on the forums while doing who knows what with the wife! I'm impressed!

Quote (nivasan6)

Paradise sucks. Utopia instead?

Soo.. In summation.. SCREW COD & ITS CRAPPY EVERYTHING!

Quote (redhamuSLA)
Read my 3rd post!

I just read it, & yeah.... THAT.

Message edited by Guzman - Thursday, 20/January/2011, 4:49:40 PM

nivasan6Date: Thursday, 20/January/2011, 6:27:54 PM | Message # 296
Major general
lol, wow; it sounds pretty damn fun.

Dux, don't worry about you getting kicked out and shit. It's the COD servers they are and always will be one of the worst servers for any game. If we play LBP2 together I guarantee that we would not have any connection issues. Same goes with Killzone and Resistance, I never encountered any problem when I joined you in either game.

If you guys want decent servers try MoH or MAG. I prefer MAG, but it's not for everyone.

Hopefully lazy Activision pushes a patch out to fix the problems you guys are having.

banion7Date: Thursday, 20/January/2011, 7:15:10 PM | Message # 297
Colonel
Alright. I can't honestly say that I think COD is fair and balanced. I also can't say that it's fair for me to expect others to just drop their associations with stats or approach a game the way I do. It's also, as I pointed out before, selfish for me to expect people to play a game that they don't enjoy just for my own benefit.

Too bad. I really hoped this game would be fun for longer. Last night was another typical night on COD but I didn't have much fun, maybe because of this discussion we've been having. *sigh*

I never experienced RFOM, with dedicated servers and all its wonderful attributes, sure hope the next Resistance is... revolutionary.

KuzuDate: Thursday, 20/January/2011, 8:14:53 PM | Message # 298
The Clan Elder
ban: i almost shed a tear when u said
Quote (banion7)
I'm sure by now you can see that this is really all about my however misguided efforts to persuade you to continue playing this game since I want to play it more and it's better when we can play together.

i had absolutely no inkling that was ur ulterior motive! just say "stop being a bitch and come play with me" that would save alot of time!

im still gonna play it, hombre. i have an addiction to gaming, that is quite honestly pretty destructive. i get about 5 hours of sleep every night, because i make time to play these god awful, adrenaline pumping, horribly inconsistent, addicting games.
last night, i didnt even blink about turning on my PS3 to play BOps. i havent changed my stance, but i love gaming so much that i cant deny my craving for it, even if i despise the company who continually shafts me. its still the newest/freshest game i have. and i can never get bored with all the weapons and playing styles. but this will be my last activision game. and no more map packs.

uve probably noticed, i join ur games time to time, because i have no one to play with either. even my hate for TDM is outweighed by my lonliness at playing hans-solo so often.
---------

niva: can u confirm which games have dedicated servers? (from most recent to older games) thanks!

redhamuSLADate: Thursday, 20/January/2011, 9:49:36 PM | Message # 299
Our Sexy Leader

Don't be a prick, dude.  None of us have ever claimed COD to be "the end all" when it comes to FPS's.      

Additionally, as I'm sure you are aware, your opinions on the COD series are neither visionary nor original.  The drawbacks to these titles have been well documented & conversed over ad infinitum.  There are pros & cons to all of the titles out there, even the ones you seem to hold so high in regard.

Predictive you may have been for some of our player's disappointment & disenchantment, but do you really enjoy rubbing that in their faces?  I could understand if you held those people in contempt, but we're a clan here.  Wouldn't you've rather had your prediction about such a thing NOT come true?  Wouldn't you've rather people had gotten full enjoyment out of their game & expressed sincere sympathy for those that it didn't happen for?

I like you, niv.  I like all of our clan members.  You are often helpful & tend to provide different opinions on things while sticking to them.  I know the value of such a thing, even if I often don't agree with you.

That being said, this post of yours didn't impress me.

Sam Halpern said something regarding my problem with your post that I'd like to paraphrase:

"You always have the right to be an asshole.  You just shouldn't exercise that right very often."  

If it hasn't already, as you get older, life may show you why.  

nivasan6Date: Thursday, 20/January/2011, 10:05:10 PM | Message # 300
Major general
Kuz, I believe MoH and BC2 have dedicated servers. MAG also has them, but not sure about other fps's.

Red, I believe that you misunderstood my first post regarding "trouble in paradise"; I merely stated it that way simply because that is what most of the clan has been playing. Hell you could've said the same thing to me when Killzone 2 came out.

I never once proclaimed my opinions to be original or revolutionary. I was stating simply what I have experienced. I know that most if not all of the faults in the COD franchise has been "documented", but to what extent? There is barely information out there from gaming sites that are respected that would dare tarnish the COD franchise. My comment about Activision fixing the problems was not me being sarcastic. I was being serious because they rarely fix their games now. Even IW has problems with fixing games too. I wasn't rubbing anything in, I was sympathizing with everyone on here. I know how you all feel when you can't join each other, or even get in some decent games/matches.

I just heard that there is a new MW3 being released this November.

Forum » Games We Play (MP & Others) » Call of Duty » COD: Black Ops
Search:

Copyright DoOrDie86 © 2024